Pinoy Pride?

Everyone seems to be going gaga over the latest season of American Idol, including me. I have watched AI religiously this year and from day one, I have rooted for Motown-sounding, Joshua Ledet.

Filipino-Mexican contestant, Jessica Sanchez, has been the top favorite in the Philippines for obvious reasons. She is Filipino and well, she is good. No contest, Jessica, is indeed one of the best contestants ever in AI history. She is only 16 years old but her belting power is over the top.

Joshua Ledet, on the other hand, is an 18-year old true blue Southerner with this unbelievable bluesy, Ray Charles and James brown kind of voice that amazed me the very first time I heard him sing. Wow! Just one of a kind. He sounded very mature. And I have never heard a teenager that can do a great Ray Charles type of music.

Anyway, 99% of the Filipino population roots for Jessica and I belong to the other 1%. To each his own. I like Joshua’s voice better than Jessica. Belting is not new to the Filipino music industry. We have Sarah Geronimo, Charice Pempengco, Angeline Quinto and yes, the belting queen, Regine Velasquez. And this is the reason why I don’t find Jessica unique at all! I like to root for singers who have other things to offer.

Now, I get a lot of reaction when I say I like Joshua Ledet. Why not support our own, they say? Come on. This is not a contest based on race or nationality. This is about talent and it happens that I find Joshua more talented than Jessica. And yes, Jessica is not even 100% Filipino. She is Mexican and American. More American, I would say, because she was born and raised in the US and does not even speak Filipino. So, liking someone based on nationality or race over talent is plain ridiculous. You can’t force me to like someone just because he or she is Filipino or remotely Filipino for that matter.

I like Joshua Ledet because he is special. He has the potential to reintroduce the good, old, Motown sound to the world. But yeah, he already got booted out of the finals. I just have to rest on the fact that winning the top spot on American Idol does not ensure a successful, lasting career in the music industry. Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson, Adam Lambert, Katharine McPhee; they all made it to the top without hitting the top spot at AI. I am positive Joshua Ledet will get what he is due soon as he gets record deals from outside AI production.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s